I know that some prefer Saturday: it is the day of no work and no commitments. I get that, and I definitely love Saturday.
However, I love Friday best. It is my favorite day of the week, and it has been for a long time. Friday is the day of anticipation and adrenaline. I spend all day Friday excited about leaving work, and knowing that I don't have to come back for two days. I love knowing that I can stay out as late as I want on Friday and sleep in as late as I want on Saturday.
Saturday nights are fun, but Saturdays come with the expectation that the plans should be cool, or interesting, or exciting. When Saturday plans turn out lame, I sometimes feel socially inadequate.
Friday night plans do not have to be big and glitzy to be exciting. Friday night can mean running to the mall before it closes, going to happy hour after work with the few co-workers I like, watching TV or a movie with Ben and Lucy, playing cards and drinking cheap beer at Matt and Jason's, or even curling up at home with a good book alone.
And Friday night is almost always left up in the air--it is left to chance and phone calls to be arranged. This only doubles the anticipation of Friday, because it is not only the anticipation of freedom but it is also the anticipation of possibility. Who knows what I will do tonight? I have no idea, yet. However, today is Friday, and I bet it will be great.
1 comment:
oh, i totally agree.
the night before the day off seems to hold more promise than the actual day.
Post a Comment