Thursday, March 08, 2007

Why I Will Never Get a Date

I have had a crush on this guy who works at Gold's Gym since the first week I began working out there. He's adorable--tall, brown hair, brown eyes, dimple, vague Texas accent. For a while we played this shy awkward thing--we'd smile at each other or wave from afar, but never talked in person. Within the last few weeks we've finally begun to exchange pleasantries. I even ran into him on Saturday outside the gym watching the Texas Independence Parade.

I've been trying to think of something to say to him all week. I remembered that he had mentioned the Battle of Gonzalez while we were watching the parade. He knew it was associated with some slogan in the Parade, but couldn't remember when the battle took place. I looked up this information on Wikipedia, and today I used it as an 'in' to talk to him after my workout today. God bless him, he actually entertained the topic for a while. Then we fell back on talking about my work out regimen with my trainer, and he finally said he needed to go back to his workout. It wasn't a terribly awkward conversation in and of itself, but it definitely was not captivating.

Is that not a simply pathetic attempt? I think that my sad attempt to talk to him about Texas history is only slightly less horrible than the guy at the PCL who tried to talk to me by asking whether I was excited about getting the book I had recalled. maybe it is worse.

I am laughing at myself. What else can I do? Maybe by the time I'm thirty I will know how to talk to a guy. Maybe.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i don't think it's ever easy and the ones that know what to say are probably over-rehearsed and rubbish anyway. i like to play the game of thinking what would have been clever to say 2 minutes after a topic was discussed but then you can never return to it again without looking like a crazy over analyzer. which i am.

you wikipedia'd (not a true verb) for him? that's cute. at least you have the strength to say anything at all.

lifegentlyunwrapped said...

Did a the guy at the PCl really say that to you? I'm at the PCL right now and there's a not unattractive gilr sitting across from me. Maybe I should look at her and ask her "do you like what your typing?"

You might still have a date for tomorrow's running by town lake!!! Still want to go? Send me time and place...