Monday, March 19, 2007

Quandary

Hi, all. I know it's been a while since I last posted. I have been pretty swamped at work. Plus I took a day off work last week to go to Dallas for Ben and Mom's birthdays. I got back in last night. It was a really nice visit.

No news on the 'cute boy at the gym' front. I saw him Thursday, but I was with my trainer and he was working out alone. I didn't want to interrupt his workout again. Maybe I'll see him today or tomorrow. Oh well.

Now, on the grad school front: I got in to the University of Chicago, sort of. I was not accepted into the history department, which is the program I applied for. I was however recommended by that department to a Master's of Social Studies program at Chicago, and they offered me a half-tuition scholarship (which leaves up to me another 20, 000+ per year).

I don't know what to make of all this. Of course, I am happy not to receive total rejection, especially from Chicago, because it's one place that I actually really want to attend. It's not exactly the program I applied for, but I've had my underlying doubts about my abilities as a scholar all along. Maybe a Master's in something more general would be a good start? However, UT offered me a much better financial deal, and I would get to start in on my Ph.D. right away. The sooner I get my Ph.D., the sooner I get to work in academics (if I get a job).

I need to research the program a little more, which might entail a trip to Chicago the first week of April. I'm also going to discuss my options with a professor I trust this Friday. However, I am definitely feeling at a loss as to the best course of action for my life. This was one outcome I didn't anticipate in the application process.

1 comment:

lifegentlyunwrapped said...

2 questions:

(i) how would you pay for the 20,000 in tuition?

(ii) how will you finance living costs there, i.e. rent, food? are they giving you a scholarship or ta appointment?