Tuesday, December 19, 2006

I am awkward and weird.

This one will probably make you all laugh. It's yet another bus story, fresh from this morning.

So, there's this cute, tall, sandy-blond guy who often rides my bus either in the morning or afternoon or both. I've noticed him for a while. One time I smiled at him, when I saw him on the street during my lunch hour. The next time I saw him on the bus, I can't say that he smiled at me, but he did give me a sort of pleasant look. Anyway, I see him all the time, but we've never sat together or exchanged words of any kind.

This morning I was a total mess getting on the bus--wet hair, heavy bag, plastic lunch sack in hand-- and of course, for the first time, cute boy was on the bus with an empty seat next to him. I thought about just walking past him to the back of the bus, but then I stopped and awkwardly plopped next to him without looking at him. I couldn't make myself begin a conversation, and he certainly wasn't doing any talking.

I sat next to him for two whole stops in silence until the seat in front of us cleared; then I moved up a seat. I felt so embarrassed by the whole thing that I immediately put on my Ipod and tried to look stressed out and tired. Like that would somehow ease the situation. He got off the bus at tenth street...and I rode down to work feeling like a complete idiot. And as though I'd missed my chance. He probably doesn't even care. Oh well. (I'm now just trying to let go of it and think about how to behave the next time I see him...which could be tomorrow! ugh.)

2 comments:

lifegentlyunwrapped said...

I didn't realise I had sandy-blond hair.

Rachel said...

Haha. don't flatter yourself, David; it's not becoming. :)