My friend David asked me that question over eggs at Star Seed's last night. (By the way, David, I really do like Star Seed's!)
I'll admit that I don't have a ready answer to that question. I know my personal reasons. I need to understand the past in order to understand the present. Knowing where certain ideas and conflicts came from makes them seem less definite, less insidious at times, less powerful, and perhaps more surmountable. I find comfort in the craziness of all people throughout all times. Plus, I like to complicate issues so much that I don't have to take a position.
But, why should the study of history matter to everyday people? I guess I'll have to think about it some more. Any comments?
1 comment:
purely as an emotional response that probably has no grounds, but what immediately popped into my head was that it makes us feel less alone.
to know that for years upon years the human race has been living and making mistakes and bouncing back, evolving as a society constantly. it's the ultimate optimism. look how bad it's been before and here we are now in a time with problems under a slightly different guise and we can pull through and change and go through all of these things again. it makes us stronger and less insecure without having to idealize anything to get to that point.
Post a Comment