Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Plastic Flowers

I now have a charming bouquet of plastic flowers stapled to my cubicle wall. They are the result of a positive human interaction on the bus. I thought I should tell you all about this one, because I usually complain about the bus (and because it reminds me of something that would happen to Matt).

Briefly: yesterday evening I smiled at an obviously homeless man as I entered the bus. He asked if he could sit next to me for a few minutes, so I agreed and made room for him. He offered me the flowers almost immediately, explaining that a pretty girl had given them to him, but he wanted to give them to another pretty girl, because he doesn't have his own apartment. I promised him I would put them up in my cubicle at work. For the next few minutes we chatted about life, and he showed me a picture of what he looked like 30 years ago as a pilot for American Airlines. He got off the bus before I could catch his name or ask him more about his life now. It made me sad to see him as he is now, but I was really glad that we talked. And I love my flowers.

In other news, I read an article this morning in which the author expresses the idea that the US should implement a system of voting by mail. I thought it was interesting. Here is the link: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/06/opinion/06goldway.html?th&emc=th.

No comments: