Tuesday, December 05, 2006
Bibliographies and Novels
The above link is to a NY times article on the rising tendency of novelists to add a bibliography to the back of their books. Many of these are works of 'historical fiction.' I don't really have a strong opinion on the subject, but I found it interesting. Historical fiction already blurs the line between the writing of history as such and fiction. It interests me to see the development of their own sort of discipline, or methodology or something like that. Methodologies do not appear over night, so I am fascinated to see them develop. I guess it is because this type of on-going self-definition by a very small group of individuals may be a sort of paradigm for the way that other groups develop too. Of course, I am not a sociologist, nor an anthropologist, nor a psychologist, nor do I have any kind of formal training in either discipline. (But, then, the lines between history and other social sciences are just as easily blurred.) Just the musings of a curious person.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment