Friday, November 03, 2006

Checking In

Well, I seem to be lazier about this blog than I was at first. I sincerely hope that none of you are as bored at work as I am as to be disappointed in my diminishing enthusiasm. I often rely on blogs to keep me going while here at this horrid desk 8+ hours/day. I wouldn't wish my condition on anyone.

Contrary to what my opening tone would suggest, I'm in a fantastic mood today. This week at work has been unusual, because I was out of the office most of the day on Tuesday and all Wednesday. One of my many bosses sent me to a conference in her stead, because she was called out of town at the last minute. Now, the conference itself was less than spectacular. It was hosted by the Texas Department of Insurance (TDI) at a lackluster Doubletree Hotel. I guess the conference was good practice for my adult life, because it forced me to dress like a grown up and make small talk with total strangers. However, I enjoyed it more because I didn't have to sit at my desk all day. Also, I really think Christopher Guest ought to consider making one of his ensemble 'mockumentaries' about state or local politics, because I kept laughing to myself all day long at the oddities of government workers and their government sense of humor. I cannot explain to you how many times at laughed at TDI staff laughing at their own jokes about the inner-workings of their department. Wow. You had to be there (or not).

In addition to my absence from work for 2 wonderful, fully-paid days, I am leaving early today to go to Dallas. Now, Dallas is not my favorite city, but I am really excited to see my family and my best friend, Stacy. Tonight I am going to hear my dad play in a 'gig' with his church band in a club downtown. Tomorrow we're going to a fancy cocktail/dinner party for a charity event. I'll come home on Sunday, and I might even see my friend Jessica in Waco in the way back. With the weather being so nice and leaving work early, I feel like I'm going on vacation. Sad, but true. But, I don't care, because I'm happy.

Dangit one of my bosses called...now I have to do some research before I leave in an hour and half!

No comments: