Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Relativism

Hi, all. My weekend home was really fantastic. My parents and I have been getting along much better since I've been more honest with them about my real thoughts about faith. Anyway, now I'm back at work and trying to re-motivate my grad school application process. However, I had to take some time out for reflection. This one may be a trifle heavier than the last few, but not depressingly heavy.

I was having a conversation with someone not long ago, and she began to make a comment about the 'crazy liberals' in Austin and their lack of morals. She didn't mean political liberals necessarily, just certain people who dress and act a certain way (ie drugs, sex, drinking, lack of serious religion). I found myself arguing with her, saying something to the effect of "Well, no, they have morals, just not the same as yours." That was all I could spit out before she cut me off and changed the subject.

I was surprised at my own willingness to argue with her. I am not the type to speak up often, unless my buttons are pushed. I didn't know that this was a button I had. Now looking back on it, I am curious about just what exactly I meant by my statement. I suppose mostly it was just a knee-jerk reaction to a blanket generalization that I found unfair.

One problem I often have, however, in making statements like this is that I realize my tendency toward relativism. Now, in order to survive in our pluralistic society, I think that some level of relativism is necessary (at least for me--and there I go again!). It's just impossible to be sane and not allow for some relativism. Along with relativism, tolerance also seems to be essential to our daily survival around here. (Another discussion that I will save--what is the relationship of tolerance and relativism? I think there is a distinction to be made there.)

I am quite comfortable with religion and relativism. I know that most religions do not preach relativism of belief, but that doesn't bother me any more. I have decided that belief is important, but what is most important is what that belief motivates you to do. Thus, regardless of a person's belief system, if they are moral and their beliefs motivate them to do good, then the beliefs are secondary. You could argue with me about this (why have supernatural beliefs at all?), but I am not interested in that discussion today. I am thinking more about what problems my general religious relativism might pose for my thinking on morality and the appropriateness of relativism in general. [Morality and relativism--not a new topic for discussion, especially not for me. I imagine some of you are quite bored with it and don't even find it compelling (David, I'm talking to you).]

I think what I find interesting (and sometimes bothersome) is that I can find myself often holding contradictory ideas in my head and withholding judgment on a lot of things. For example, if you were to ask me, "is it wrong to get drunk?" I would answer: "for some people it is." What I mean by that is that: 1. some people cannot handle being drunk anymore because of problems with addiction; 2. some people believe it to be wrong; 3. being drunk isn't necessarily wrong . Of course, you wouldn't want to apply this to any moral choice. I know that.

I guess I'm left wondering, when, if at all, is relativism appropriate? To what extent? Does anyone else find this question remotely interesting or relevant? It's probably just a symptom of my own neurosis. (Also, I know I didn't really define relativism, so that could be a problem.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think you are not taking it far enough. we shouldn't be asking about getting drunk, we should be asking ourselves "is it ok to smoke crack?" or even "how many crack rocks is it ok to smoke?" or something along those lines. or "do you think rachel will smoke crack with us?"

Rachel said...

Oh boys...I'm so glad to hear that you have my well-being at heart.

mark said...

chris, i would tend to think that it might depend entirely on the size of the crack rocks. then again, i've been wrong before.

lifegentlyunwrapped said...

Hmm, good duscussion topic. Let me ask 2 questions: (i) what are you applying to grad school for? remind me (ii) what exactly *is* relativism? and, most interestingly, how do you distinguish between, as you hinted at, relativism and tolerance. can i be tolerant to another's view if relativism is not true - can I be tolerant to another's view if I have it right and he has it wrong? Probably. Did you know it was my waving at you on my bike? When are we getting that coffee?