Monday, June 04, 2007

Post-Partem

I'm sitting at my desk with my usual peanut butter toast with raisins and a cup of lackluster office coffee. I came in to find papers and emails and phone messages with work requests, and my desk is still slightly a mess. It is 9:15, and I still don't feel awake. The attorney near me just walked in smelling too strongly of her perfume. Nothing has changed.

And yet many things have changed.

The wedding was amazing. AMAZING. Really the whole time I spent in Dallas was just wonderful. I am thoroughly exhausted, emotionally and physically. The whole week forms a blur of activity, events, faces, and conversations in my memory.

The bachelorette party on Wednesday night was so much fun. Poor Lucy had to wear an ugly, old wedding dress and do stunts around the Galleria. Thursday night was the lingerie shower. SO fun. I loved spending time with Lucy and the other bridesmaids at all these events. They are girls I already knew and liked, but the wedding definitely brought us all closer together.

Friday a bunch of relatives came in from out of town. It was so good to see my dad's sister, three of my mom's brothers, and various cousins. My grandma had already been there for two weeks. Friday night was the wedding rehearsal and dinner. My brother and Lucy's friends took time to say encouraging words to them both, and it was really touching to learn just how loved they are by so many people. I told Ben that I was glad he picked a good one, because I couldn't have given him up to anyone else. I cried a lot.

Saturday was THE day. I woke up early and anxious and had a good cry with my mom, and then another good cry while writing Ben a card. The bridesmaids ate breakfast at my parents' house, and we all had our hair done at different times during the day. After lunch with some cousins and the groomsmen, I went to the church to get dressed and put on my makeup. Somehow 2:30 became 4:30, and we began to take pictures. Then somehow 4:30 became 5:30, and the ceremony began. I was second to last to walk in before the maid of honor.

I walked in with our good friend Ben Fuqua, who told me just to relax and let him get me to the front of the room. This was a good thing, because I pretty much wanted to bawl the whole time I stood up there, watching my brother and Lucy exchange vows. Ben even cried a little when Lucy walked in. I could see their beautiful, glowing faces the whole time. It was just incredible to see their love for each other and to feel the love and support in the room. And just like that the ceremony was over, and Ben and Lucy were husband and wife. By 6:05 I was back in the sanctuary waiting to take pictures. While taking some additional photos in the historic chapel on site, I sat at the piano to play hymns. No one seemed to mind, and I definitely felt calmed by it.

Soon enough, I drove over to the reception, and we waited for Ben and Lucy to arrive. When they did, we made our grand entrance into the reception room. I have never seen a more beautifully decorated room. The flowers were amazing. The center pieces were perfect. The cakes looked beautiful. The band was so good. I wish I were better with words so that I could paint a picture of it for you.

Ben and Lucy danced the evening away, and they were radiant. The whole reception went by so quickly, talking to friends and family...and especially talking to Lucy's cousin, my 'date' for the evening. He was so much fun, and even danced with me some, despite his protestations against dancing in general. Before I knew it, Ben and Lucy went off in their limo, and I went home with my family to talk and to sleep.

Yesterday afternoon Lucy called me from the airport to talk about the wedding and my 'date' before she and Ben got on the plane. I had a few more precious hours with two of my uncles and aunt and cousin and grandma. We ate and sang beatles' songs. Then, I was back on the road to Austin.

When I got home, Aaron, Jason and Matt were leaving my new apartment, and Leanne, Mark and Eustace were there to welcome me home.

Nothing has changed. Everything has changed.

3 comments:

lifegentlyunwrapped said...

'Nothing has changed. Everything has changed.' Sounds like a line from Heraclitus...

Jake said...

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! I hate this place (*by 'this place' I am in no way implying that I mean my place of employment, which shall not be named so as to indemnify the poster of this comment from any liablity)

Anonymous said...

we have lots to catch up on, love.

glad you made it through the madness.