Friday, February 09, 2007

Qualification

My co-worker Marilyn happened to see me looking at my blog yesterday. She got a good laugh out of the (new) title. I explained to her that it used to be called simply "Not Gonna Be a Lawyer," but recently, after a chat with a friend who tried to remind me of how good my life is right now, I decided that my title was too negative. Of course, I left it still somewhat vague, which is only appropriate for the overly-analytical waffler that I am.

Marilyn did not like this vagueness. She seems to think I should qualify "Someone" in some way. The interesting thing is that she thinks I should say "I'm going to be someone ___," filling in the blank with 'good' or 'kind' or 'patient' or 'thoughtful' or any other adjective that is the opposite of how we sometimes view our bosses around here.

I like her play on the comparison, focusing on qualities instead of actual carreer. However, I am most worried about the actual career right now. I found out today that I was rejected from Yale, which I guess isn't too shocking, but it is disappointing. I should hear from the rest of the programs soon. I just hope that some university will take me!

No comments: