This morning I passed by a gentleman in the hall at the office. We made eye contact, smiled, and he whispered to me hi. It hit me as I walked on by: why do we whisper hello to strangers? It really is kind of strange.
Usually a whisper is an intimate tone, isn't it? However, I don't think intimacy was this man's intention as we spent less than 10 seconds in communication. Ostensibly, politeness must be the reason for muted tone of speech--not wanting to disturb others around you. However, I think it is more about the insecurity of the meeting. You don't know each other, yet you work together, so some sort of greeting seems in order, perhaps. Not wanting to intrude too much on the other person's personal space, the whisper hi seems like the best compromise between silent rudeness and overt friendliness.
Similar to the whisper hi is the mouthed hi of which I too have been guilty. But, really, is this necessary? It seems more awkward than a genuine greeting--two strangers whispering and mouthing things to each other. Should I whisper hi in return, or would that be too bold an exchange? If not, dare I articulate a full-volumed "good morning"??
No comments:
Post a Comment