Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Perhaps I Spoke Too Soon

Ok. So maybe I was just a little bit mean to my job yesterday. I still don't love it, but after I'd woken up a little bit, I realized that it isn't so bad.

Part of what changed my mood was that I got to go to the Capitol and back twice yesterday. Sure, I was looking for some relatively boring records and listening to tapes of senate committee meetings from 1993, but it is kinda cool to learn what all the buildings on the capitol complex are. Also, being outside in yesterday's fantastic, quasi-British rainy haze made me very, very happy (any time I'm not at my desk makes me very, very happy). I made some friends in the lunch room yesterday. I definitely felt a little bit like the new kid in junior high (which I was in the 7th grade and back then I was fat, too, so it's not the best feeling to relive), but unlike junior high the people were actually nice to me. And some of the guys are very cute. (Yes, I'm just that superficial: I like my job better for knowing a few more cute guys in the work place!) Oh, and I heard about what some of the other people my age do hear, and my job is much better. At least I'm not doing data entry!

I'm just in a better mood altogether today. I got up early so I had some extra time before work to have a soy latte and write in my journal, I'm considering signing up for a volunteer program to help a refugee family acclimate to American life, and I'm going to take a class on reading the Quran for 5 weeks beginning this coming Sunday. Having a meaningful life outside of my job and forming allies inside the job just helps.

No comments: