I'm trying my best not to be somber and comtemplative today. I'm actually in quite a good mood. I have enough work to do at work to keep from total boredom at present, and my co-workers Marilyn and Jake help me to laugh when things get stressful. Also, some of the lawyers took my out for lunch on my birthday, which I thought was a nice gesture. Plus I walked to work from my apartment (31st to 2nd street, essentially) in 45 minutes. It felt great! I love walking. If only city life was designed for people to walk everywhere. (I think Lucy would kill me for saying that--haha!)
Yesterday I was feeling kind of blue. I've noticed that adult life consists of a continual series of imposing yourself on people. At work, I have to impose myself on the lawyers to remind them to give me work (not that it isn't there to be done, they just don't always want to sit down to ask me for it). It's harder to make friends too, so I feel like I'm always imposing on people to befriend them. I know I must have done this sometime at UT, but it was easier then somehow. Also, if you want to find ways to spend your free time, you must impose yourself on people yet again. Activities and opportunities rarely seem to find you; you must seek them out.
All of this sounds depressing, but it turned out to be good yesterday. I had a nice chat at lunch with a friend from work, I auditioned for and was accepted into a choir, and several friends showed up for my birthday outing to the Elephant Room last night. Apparently effort pays off sometimes. (But, I still miss Brigette, Steph, Stacy and Ed, Hope, Hema, Jess, Dana...!) I'm especially excited about the choir. I'm rusty, but somewhere in there, my body remembers how to sing--it's just out of shape. And my class on the Quran is coming up again. And I'm supposed to help my friend in Russia translate penpal letters from Russian to English (and maybe from English to Russian?). So life is good.
No comments:
Post a Comment