In my excitement over my ACL adventures, I completely forgot to publish the unexpected second installment of my alleged date with destiny (see August 29th).
Last Friday I ran into the Salvation army dweller from the bus again. It all began quite innocently. I was unusually hungry that day, so after I had already eaten all of my lunch, I decided to get a smoothie from Jamba Juice (not a usual pattern for me). I walked up to the register, and as I pretended to think about what to order (I always order the same thing), I felt a poke on the back of my upper right thigh. Who touches a person there? Well, certainly not a stranger in Jamba Juice!--I thought as I whipped around to see who had violated my personal bubble (a major offense anywhere in America, but especially the downtown of any city). I stared at the person for a couple of seconds, before I recognized him.
"Remember me? I shaved my head." "Oh yeah, from the bus..." "I told you that if we met again, it would be fate." Awkward laugh. "I've seen you a couple of other times, but I didn't say anything, because I kind of wanted to be your secret admirer." Another awkward laugh.
Thank God for the boy behind the register who could tell that I felt violated and quite disoriented by the whole experience. He interrupted my Salvation Army 'secret admirer' and asked me what I wanted. I proceeded to be very interested in what he had to say until I received my smoothie. I breezed quickly by and told him "well, see ya. I gotta get back to work." On my way out I hear: "Ok, well don't let me hold you back."
The whole thing left me feeling a little exposed. Sometimes when I walk around downtown I now wonder whether he's out there somewhere watching me, his 'destiny', walk down the street. I hope I don't have to see him again, because I'm not good at confrontation, and I really don't think I can handle any more of those unbelievably unsettling converations!! Plus I do feel some compassion for the guy--I think he must be mentally unbalanced, so I don't want to be inordinately rude. But when does unbalanced turn into creepy stalker? Any thoughts on what I should say to this guy if he addresses me again?
1 comment:
that's really creepy. i thought the first story was weird but kind of like "oh, that quirky homeless kid." but this is too much. i would feel very strange also.
i don't really know what you could tell him other than just flat out telling him "you're making me uncomfortable." i think avoiding him is probably a good start, but if you see him again and he continues, i would say to tell him that you're not comfortable and to go sit by someone else. just don't avoid him and stay alone.
geez, i'm sorry but i'm sure he is just a little mentally off and probably not dangerous but you don't want to take any chances.
Post a Comment