A deciduous tree in the Texas fall. Some of leaves are dead or dying and have turned colors, while others decidedly remain green and hang on for dear life--even making it through the winter sometimes. This tree is in conflict not knowing whether to let go and what to let go of.
I am like this tree. Some things are young and fresh--my classes, new friends--but many things are fading--the restaurants, the campus, the 'secret' parking spaces. When I walk down streets that I've walked along so many times, my heart aches from the ghosts of people and feelings long gone. It is strange to feel nostalgia for a place I've never left. I feel as though I'm trying to make something new out of something that is slowly dying.
This doesn't mean that I'm sad all the time, just learning to live with loss and hoping to find life in unexpected places. (And I should stop trying to create nature metaphors for my life and stick to analysis.)
No comments:
Post a Comment