I have the opportunity to observe a number of people during my bus rides and my walks downtown. When I'm not too caught up in my own world, I enjoy watching people interact with each other.
One of my favorite interactions occurs when I leave work on time and catch the bus at 5:25 outside my office. A couple of months ago, I got on the bus and witnessed what I think was the first conversation between a 40-something blind man with a yellow lab and a 50-something woman with very badly arthritic hands and too pink lipstick. They seemed to understand each other genuinely, and over the past weeks, when I see them, I can tell that they have become good bus companions. For some reason this just warms my heart intensely. It may be because I feel silent camaraderie with these people who have dared to make friends on the bus instead of ignoring everyone they see, as I have done on occasion. (And I now have a great friend, Rebekah, because of it!)
Another interaction I love to observe is the one between the man and his dog. I have learned (through shameless eavesdropping, of course) that he won't be able to keep the dog much longer because he is too old. It's just so clear how much he loves that dog--always talking about him and patting his head. The dog is not like most dogs. As a seeing eye dog, he must be focused on what is going on, and on the bus, he usually just sits under the seats where his master sits. There is something beautiful their symbiosis, and I love that dog for taking such good care of this stranger on the bus.
No comments:
Post a Comment