Monday, February 27, 2012

Miscellany

February's almost over, yawl. I just wanted to pop by to say that life is good. Teaching is still going well. I'm really enjoying working with a smaller class (80 students instead of 300). It's fun to get to know the undergraduates on a more personal level. I really enjoy college-aged students as people--they're eager, excited, and hopeful. I think they help me to be more positive too.

I've begun reading a novel called A Discovery of Witches. Thus far it seems like a fun read about an academic who's also a witch, but refuses to practice witchcraft. Nevertheless, when she uncovers a bewitched alchemical text the vampires, demons, and other witches in Oxford won't leave her alone. Nice to fantasize about academic work that has a fanciful dimension!

Matt and I purchased a very fun and very nerdy board game last month called Arkham Horror. It's a cooperative game in which we and our friends who play with us (and, yes, we know enough other nerds to get people to play with us) have to defeat monsters and protect Massachusetts from the approaching Ancient One, trying to emerge from another dimension. Did I mention nerdy? But, IT'S SO MUCH FUN! It's been nice to have something to do together besides watch TV.

Last weekend on February 18, I presented part of my dissertation at a conference here in Austin. It went well. My advisor came and had nice things to say about my progress on my dissertation. I've really been happy with my writing and research lately. It's nice to be on a creative upswing with the project.

I think that's all I have to share for now. It's just nice to be happy and productive for a stretch of time.

2 comments:

Kaye said...

My bad, I forgot about your presentation. So glad it went well and I know you appreciated the support of your advisor. YOU GO GIRL!

rae.ozanne said...

Thanks, Kaye! It was great to have all that support!