Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Catch Up: ACL

Hello to all of you still with me. :) I've had a couple of stressful weeks, so I've lacked the emotional energy to evaluate my life, or just tell you guys about the good things going on in the midst of the stress. Here's my best shot.

ACL was a bit of a downer this year overall. Friday was a lot of fun. I really enjoyed The Walkmen, and Andrew Bird was AMAZING. I've never seen him live before, so it was really quite a treat. We left before the end of the night, because neither Dave Matthews Band nor the Yeah Yeah Yeahs was very intriguing.

Saturday, as some of you may know, it rained all day long. I was really most excited to see Bon Iver that afternoon, but the show was somewhat lacking due to the constant battle with umbrellas in my face and chattering in the crowd. The rain made people distracted, so it was just disappointing. My parents spent all of Saturday in the tent--the one covered stage. This seems to have been the wise choice, because with the exception of Eek-a-Mouse (which by the way it is HILARIOUS that my parents saw this show), they enjoyed themselves. The highlight of Saturday was definitely the Devotchka show. They are excellent performers! We took Mom and Dad to Texas Chili Parlor afterwards. It was a solid choice, though I still prefer the migas at Starseed's, of all places.

We skipped out on Sunday, because we were all exhausted and didn't really want to wallow in the mud all day. Mom and Dad hung around all day, including lunch at Mother's (never disappoints!) and studying in the afternoon for everyone but Dad and Matt, who escaped to watch football at home in peace.

I think I may take a break from ACL next year, unless there are several bands that grab my attention. Plus, I might be away on research. We'll see. Hopefully some bands I really love will come through Austin soon to redeem live music in my eyes.

No comments: