Monday, August 24, 2009

Parable of Persistence

Jesus tells the story of a widow who wants to have her cause taken before a judge. The judge really doesn't care at all about her plight, but the woman keeps after him daily, until he finally caves and listens to her. He gives in because he doesn't want to be bothered by her any more.  (See Luke 18:1-8.)  

Graduate school is like that. When you're a graduate student, sometimes you feel like no one really cares about you. This year I have to read for my Comprehensive Qualifying Exams ("comps"), and one of my tasks for the summer was to compile the three reading lists from which I will work throughout the year. Getting professors to read and comment on these lists has proven a somewhat uphill battle, but I've finally managed to set appointments with all of them. It just required a little persistence

2 comments:

Rachel said...

You say "persistence," I say "stalking." Po-tay-to, po-tah-to.

rae.ozanne said...

Funny Rachel!