Lidell has powerful , soulful voice. It was my first encounter with his music (despite a now month-old recommendation from Hope), and I'm definitely wanting more. I left Lidell's set early to make my way as close to the WAMU stage as possible to see M. Ward.
I was most excited about M. Ward of all the sets of the day. My heart was racing with anticipation, and he did not disappoint. He opened with some of his classic guitar picking, and then performed a classic from Transfiguration of Vincent. He played most of the songs from his latest album, Post-War, including a humorous rendition of "Chinese Translation". He ended the show with "Vincent O'Brien" and "To Go Home." I was smiling and just so overwhelmed by the end.
My parents arrived during M. Ward's set, and my dad managed to find me for the last few songs. Then, the three of us got seats under in front of the WAMU stage to stay for Jenny Lewis. I was somewhat familiar with her music before the show began, but I was completely blown away by her. She is an incredible performer--her voice is beautiful, she has good stage personality, and she was really into the emotions of her songs. Exhilarating.
At that point, I was already feeling full, so we took our time to get dinner and set up in front of the Dell stage for G. Love. We could overhear David Byrne in the background as we ate. G. Love put on a great show. I was glad to hear my favorites like "Cold Beverage" and "Baby's Got Sauce". Mom also bought some of that amazing kettle corn that is always sold at Austin events, and at the end of the show we collected a garbage bag's worth of recycleables and exchanged them for a free shirt!
We went home early to get some rest and prepare for a LONG day in the sun today. Excited!
No comments:
Post a Comment