Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Small Victories

Perhaps to no one's surprise, I did not finish any of the books on my holiday reading list. Things got much busier once I recovered from illness and Matt and I hit the road for Dallas and Cedar Creek Lake. I did, however, manage to see an number of movies, mini series, and TV shows. Perhaps I should review some of these in lieu of book reviews?

Anyway, for multiple reasons, our holiday vacation was disrupted and emotionally disruptive. I came home to Austin on New Year's Eve to an ill boyfriend and a fresh dose of ohgoodlordI'mingradschool stress. Given all the drama of the holidays and the sense of doom I've been feeling about the impending semester (beginning January 17), I thought I would nod to my November goals and take time to reflect on some of the small victories of the first two weeks of 2012:

-I cleaned my desk, created new files for stacks of papers created last semester, and proudly displayed new calenders and cute school supplies.

-I got back to my regular exercise routine, including yoga, walks, and work outs at the gym. It's felt good to move my body again, and it's been even better to reconnect with my exercise buddies!

-I wrote more of my dissertation!!!!!! This is actually today's small victory. After some brainstorming and outlining last week and some major procrastination yesterday, I finally managed to corral my brain long enough to write three pages. I've really got to get back on the writing train this semester, so it was nice to make some genuine progress.

-Tonight I'm going to make a new recipe from my new cookbook, Peas and Thank You, written by smart and funny vegan blogger, Sarah Matheny. Should be fun!

No comments: