Hello all.
Well, I made it through the end of the semester. I've still got college applications to read, but plenty of time to read them. I've also managed to get sick, but I'm mostly on my way to recovery now. It's no fun being sick.
In happier news, I got my Christmas shopping done, and I'm excited about the gifts I found for everyone this year! I've already completed one mystery novel, and I've got plans to finish a couple of fun books over the break. Of course, my reading list is probably too ambitious for the ten days, but I've already begun reading all of the books. So really I hope to complete them. Here's what I'm reading right now, in no particular order:
1. The Somnambulist by Jonathan Barnes; a Victorian mystery novel. The narrator's a bit cheeky, but I think I'll enjoy this quick whodunnit, with a tinge of supernatural, read.
2. Devices and Desires by K.J. Parker; a fantasy saga. I've been reading this book for months. At turns I really love the description and the way that Parker delves into the minds of his characters. At turns I'm annoyed by asides into the thought processes of characters irrelevant to the main story and the fact that so far (on page 480), very little has happened. I don't mind when a story develops slowly, but I think I've been reading the book too slowly for my momentum to pick up. Hopefully I'll finish it over the holiday.
3. Rethinking Thin by Gina Kolata; a journalistic book on the science and history of dieting in the U.S. This book has had some surprising information about weight gain and the genetics of fat. Looking forward to reading more!
4. Bluebird: Women and the New Psychology of Happiness by Ariel Gore; a look at what happiness might mean for women. Very interesting so far!
5. Shardik by Richard Adams. I haven't started this one yet, but I'm looking forward to it.
6. Visionary Women: Ecstatic Prophecy in Seventh-Century England by Phyllis Mack. This is the one 'nerd book' I'm reading over the break. It discusses female prophets, and is related to my dissertation because it discusses Quakers quite a bit. Should be fun! (For me)
No comments:
Post a Comment