Saturday, January 29, 2011

Pennsylvania

Hello gentle readers.

I really don't want to review all the reasons why I haven't posted since November. It was a rough 2 months, so I'm just jumping ahead to happier times.

I'm currently visiting and researching in Swarthmore, PA, home to the Friends Historical Library. I've been enjoying snow, cold, snow, cold, snow, cold...you get the idea. The snow is truly beautiful! I am, however, getting a little bit tired of the same 7 sweaters and 7 undershirts that I packed.

The research here is going well so far. I'm enjoying getting to know Quakers and Quaker history more than I anticipated I would. The people who work at the archive here are very, very friendly, and they've been a great help to me in getting me grounded in Quaker history and guiding me through all of the vast resources devoted to Hicksite Quakers.

I can honestly say that this trip has revitalized me intellectually and emotionally. I feel like my dissertation project is actually going somewhere now. I still have a lot of things to work out, but in general I'm not feeling so lost. I've also enjoyed the peace and calm of living in a quiet town where I walk everywhere. I needed this trip, and I fell grateful to have the privilege of traveling so many places.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I think you forgot my favorite: wintry mix.