I read an interesting memoir by Frank Schaeffer, the son of one of the founders of the religious right, who has given up most of it in his adulthood. He actually grew up in a small evangelical community in Switzerland--very interesting! Gregory McGuire's Confessions of an ugly stepsister was easy, fun reading. I'm currently reading a very cool vampire novel by Justin Cronin called The Passage. It's been an exciting read so far and also not the typical vampire bodice-ripper (or chaste bodice-ripper in the case of Twilight) that you might think of. It's more of a post-apocalyptic story. No sexy vampires here.
I'm also finally back to work. I'm working for my advisor again as an RA, helping him organize his next chapters for his current book project. The reading for that is interesting--currently Existence, edited by Rollo May. It's considered a founding work in existential psychotherapy in the U.S. I'm also preparing for my research trips for the fall. For that I'm reading a biography of Joseph Smith, Jr. called Rough Stone Rolling by Richard Bushman. I highly recommend it to anyone interested in Smith's life and the origins of Mormonism. Bushman is a Mormon, but so far his presentation is very balanced. It's also interesting to me to see the Mormon explanation of certain events, etc. Plus, Smith lived a fascinating life.
Anyway, that's what I'm up to right now. That, and planning my next trip to Rita's, the amazing water ice place that finally came to Texas. YAY!!!!!
1 comment:
I think the vampire book definitely qualifies as easy summer reading. I don't know how into quasi-sci-fi you are, but I'd recommend otherwise. The author is apparently a Texas resident, so a number of opening scenes take place in various Texas hot spots (like the Huntsville Prison). It is a brand new hardcover book, so maybe look into a library copy?
and YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have to say that seeing you is the most exciting part about going to Utah!
Post a Comment