I was walking back to my apartment to figure out what to do about my car speeding up I-35, when I ran into a group of people I knew from high school. They were parents of kids younger than I. One of the kids recognized me, because he had played my son in our high school rendition of The Music Man. I was really happy to see them, and I thought that surely one of them would drive me up the highway to find my car, which in my mind was already on its way to Georgetown, if it hadn't caused a 12-car pile up. They were all on their way to have lunch somewhere. They were dressed up as if leaving church or a graduation or something. None of them would help me.
I decided to take off running along the access road of the highway, hoping that maybe instead of heading for Georgetown, my car had in fact begun to slow down and was somewhere along the side of the road (undamaged and not stolen). I'm not a great runner, but unhampered as I was, I thought that I could at least get a good jog going. However, the wind began to push back against me. I felt as though I were trying to run through jello with a backpack on. In order to keep going forward, I had to make the arm movements for the breaststroke--my worse stroke in swimming. Getting the time of walking and stroking was difficult, but I was getting it. Meanwhile a group of high school aged boys laughed at me. For some reason they didn't have the jello-wind to contend with.
I got to an intersection that looked similar to the intersection at I-35 and Riverside, except wider and farther away from Woodland than it actually is. There's a bus stop at the corner, and I get excited that I might be able to catch the #1 or #3 up the highway (which makes no sense, if you know anything about the buses here), but instead of stopping at the stop, all of the buses make left turns away from the stop and away from the highway.
I kept swim-running, almost getting hit in the intersection, because there aren't any crosswalk signs. I was running downhill, and as I got to the bottom of the hill, I ran into an old friend of my mother's, who used to babysit my brother and me. She was having a picnic next to the highway with some friends. I was confused to see her, because she lives in New York. I stopped to say hi and to ask for her help. Her friends wanted me to join them at their picnic, but obviously I couldn't stay. She couldn't help me either for some reason, so I began to jog again.
I woke up shortly there after. My car is safely in the parking lot of my apartment complex.
No comments:
Post a Comment